Monday, September 19, 2011

The Sorbetto Top

This weekend, I spent much of my time sewing.  I was preparing to work on the Vogue Ann Klein cigarette pants when I changed directions completely and decided to work on the Sorbetto top from  Colette Patterns.  See it here. 

I've been loving this pattern for quite some time  but I could never find the right fabric.  I tend to stay away from too many prints, preferring solids.  But, I was looking through my stash on a mission to at least start the Sorbetto.  I had been reading The Sew Weekly"s 7 Day's of Sorbetto and drooling over all her creative versions of this one pattern and I liked how each top was made with a patterned fabric. 

I picked up several different fabrics that I'd been sitting on for some time and then one caught my eye.  I've had this fabric in my stash for a year and a half with the original intent to make a dress with it.  I had started the dress but became bored with sewing it.  Luckily, I had just enough to make my first Sorbetto. I was excited to begin!

I printed out the pattern and assembled it - a much easier task that I thought.  I won't have any worries about downloading patterns in the future.



I added 3 inches to the length and I'm glad I did.  Even with this extra length, I will have to be very careful that my hem isn't too short.



I cut the size 18 and I have an almost perfect fit.  No FBA to do.  The directions were very easy and here are the preliminary results:





Yes, that is a seam in the back.  I had to improvise because the fabric had already been cut.   I still need to add the hem and the bias binding.  If I have enough fabric scraps, I might try to make my own.

What do you think of the fabric?  Isn't it gorgeous? 

Have a great day and keep on sewing!








No comments:

Post a Comment

I enjoy reading your thoughts!