Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Classic Films

Don't you just love classic movies?  I know I do.  In fact, one of my favorite past times is sewing while I watch whatever classic movie is on TCM.  I don't get to do it often enough.  Sometimes, I have to listen to a Disney cartoon so my toddler will be occupied and I can get my 20 minutes of sewing in.  Bad mother, I know, but sometimes there's no other alternative.  When he's tired of cutting old scraps of fabric, Disney movies come in handy.

But, I grew up watching classic movies.  Channel 5 KTLA used to have a Saturday afternoon show hosted by Tom Hatten that showed Hollywood musicals and comedies.  Tom Hatten would sit in a chair and much like TCM today, would give interesting insights into the people who made the movie and how it was made.
I spend every Saturday afternoon in front of the TV watching Abbott & Costello, The Marx Brothers, Singing in the Rain, Easter Parade, and on and on and on.  I loved the singing and dancing, the comedy, the filming - everything about it.



My older sister took me to see Gone With the Wind for the first time at the local movie theater.  It was still being re-released way back then.  Many blockbusters were.  Every Easter, we would watch Ben Hur or Ten Commandments.  Every Christmas we watched all the classic Christmas movies. Needless to say, there was never a lack of classic movie watching my house.




Last week was Doris Day's birthday and true to form, TCM launched a week of Doris Day films. One of my favorites is Love Me or Leave Me starring Doris Day and James Cagney.  If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend you treat yourself to this fantastic movie.  Doris Day has never looked so beautiful and her costumes are to die for....




 Forgive the horrible picture.  I took it with my phone during the movie.  This particular dress is fabulous!  All sequins and tassels.   I was unable to find many pictures of this movie online.  Perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong places.  Trust me, you will be salivating




1 comment:

  1. I'm a big fan of the classic movies, too. Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly in particular. AWESOME guys! And Guys and Dolls is one of the best movies ever.

    ReplyDelete

I enjoy reading your thoughts!