I’m using Simplicity 2292 for my son’s jacket. It’s a very easy pattern but I can’t say that the directions are very good. Things were going along swimmingly until I hit the sleeves.
The directions for the sleeves must be incorrect. Stay with me here. I followed the pattern to the letter. I stitched up the sleeve seam, prepared the cuff, and just as I was going to attach the cuff, I realized that the sleeve opening was too small to fit in my machine. I then realized that I should have attached the cuff prior to stitching the sleeve. It would have made far more sense to do it this way as children’s clothing generally will not fit over the sewing machine.
Needless to say, I was frustrated because I attached twill tape to the outside of the sleeve which took some time and then spent more time trying to fix my serger that had decided to make trouble once again. As a result, I made no progress on the jacket last night. Tonight, I will be recutting the sleeves and attaching the twill tape once again. Before I stitch up the seams, I will attach the cuffs, then the seams and then attach the sleeves to the body.